Up to 80% of New Year’s resolutions fail making us wonder if it’s the goal or just the time of year when the goal is made. Let’s face it, the winter holiday season is exhausting. We’re filled with enough holiday cheer and stress that we can barely think straight. Yet somehow someone decided this is the perfect time of year for setting goals; we aren’t so sure.
We think mid-year is the better time especially when it comes to your court reporter business.
We’re in a better frame of mind in May or June and can accurately assess how business has been the first few months of the year. If it feels slow, we can amp it up. If we’re wanting to take time off later in the year, we still have time to plan ahead.
Ask yourself if you’re happy about where you are today.
For many of us, there are always areas in which we could improve. Even if business is doing well, we may have unmet goals in our personal lives. The best part is that as we improve one aspect, the other gets better too.
- Write down goals. If you have a trusted friend or colleague, share your goals with them. Why? You’re more likely to meet goals if you’ve communicated them.
- Review the goals you set in January. Where are you falling short? What do you need to change? Now is the time to make adjustments or ditch the resolutions in favor of new ones.
- Set small milestones. You don’t run all 26 miles of a marathon; you run one step, one mile at a time. It’s the same for your goals. Setting smaller milestones will help you see how far you’ve come toward your goal.
- Celebrate progress! It’s not about losing 30 pounds this year, it’s about losing two pounds a week until you reach your goal. Buy a pair of pants in your new size to celebrate. If it’s business related, then give yourself a small bonus or go out to lunch to celebrate progress. It’s sure to motivate you to keep moving forward.
- Set the tone for the rest of the year. Where do you want to be in December? What do you need to do to get you from where you are today to that goal? You’ve still got six months of this year to reach new milestones. Take advantage of the time and plan ahead!
We find that mid-year is the perfect time for setting or re-setting resolutions. Figure out where you are today and where you want to be at the end of year. Measure success along the way and celebrate your wins!
If you’re ready to do more with your court reporter expertise, call Advanced Court Reporting today.